Monday, October 12, 2009

My Tutoring Experience So Far

On my first day of tutoring i was a little nervous but more anxious to see what this experience was going to be like. When i walked in i was instructed to go to the literacy coaches office where we discussed the lesson plans and activities that i will be doing with my students throughout the next couple of months. I was then led into the classroom where i met one of my kids that i was assigned. We went over a list of words that he knew perfectly and discussed his interests and outlook on his school life. I was surprised on how polite and mature he was for only being in the fourth grade. The following week i was able to meet the other child who i was assigned who is also very intelligent and seems to need very little help. Although i have bonded and made connections with the children, I feel as though i have reached a dead end since they have both seem to have perfected the highlest level of the actvities that are available by the fluency coach. I am considering speaking with the teacher and asking her if i can spend time with students who are having more difficulty and are more desperate for my assistance. I did get to have a one on one session with another student who had extreme difficulty with pronunciation, expression, and conjoining sounds. We made some progress but i really hope that i will have more time with him in the future even though he is not my assigned student. I look forward to spending more time in the classroom and interacting with the students.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    I agree. You should talk with the teacher--she will be appreciative of your input, I'm sure. I look forward to your future observations and connections to course themes.

    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete